04 May 2015

Clean up bookmarks in Google Chrome

I’ve been browsing regularly for years and collecting all sorts of links in my bookmarks, for work, hobbies or as reference for future blog posts – as I’m sure many people have. Over time, my bookmarks have accumulated duplicated and possibly obsolete sites. I’ve been meaning to clean them up for a long time, but doing that manually seemed too tedious. Fortunately I recently discovered an extension that does most of the work, called Bookmark Checker. After you get past the awful interface – I’m sure those useless graphic files make up most of the bulk of the extension – it’s easy to use and efficient. You just select the type of scan (for example bad links, duplicates or empty folders) and wait for the process to complete. Checking for bad links was the longest task, and it removed nearly one hundred bookmarks out of about 1300. You can manually review the results before removing the links if you want to keep some of them anyway. The duplicate check is super-useful, as I had a lot of bookmarks imported from previous browsers in different folders that I would never have found by myself. After you’re done, the extension can be removed from Chrome, since this kind of clean-up is not something you do daily – more like once a year.

Chrome Bookmark Checker scan in progress

via Gary Gurnicz

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your website in Ie, it looks fine
    but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete