29 April 2013

Robert Scoble: “My two-week review of Google Glass: it all depends on the price”

Here's my review after having Google Glass for two weeks:

1. I will never live a day of my life from now on without it (or a competitor). It's that significant.

Robert Scoble

If I had a dollar for every time Scoble said that about a product, I would be able to buy a Glass with no second thoughts.

The review brings up some valid points though, especially details about battery life, buried away in the comments:

The battery lasts me all day. You can use external battery packs to either do a quick charge (it takes 20 minutes or so to get one that's totally dead to come on) or to let you do a ton of video (video and things that keep the projector on use a lot of battery -- think about 20% every 10 minutes.

So Glass would be able to record 50 minutes of video before running out of juice. Not bad (but others disagree) and the available storage should be enough to save the video files. But the pictures look awful for a 5MP camera and the lack of 3G/4G seriously restricts the use outside of cities – and for most of the world outside a building, actually. I would think one of the main reasons to use one is to get easier driving directions, but without an Internet connection that’s not bound to happen. This is only a prototype so there could be lots of improvements as technology miniaturizes further, but at the current stage I fail to see who would buy this for another purpose than showing off.

Post a Comment